“Negligence” is the central legal concept at the heart of every personal injury case. This term describes a party’s failure to act with reasonable care in a given situation. To succeed with a personal injury claim in Riverside, California, the plaintiff and their legal team must establish four key facts:
- The defendant had a duty of care in the situation in question.
- The defendant breached this duty of care in some way, either intentionally or through carelessness.
- The plaintiff suffered actual harm from the defendant’s breached duty of care.
- The plaintiff’s claimed damages did not result from another cause.
Proving these four factors may seem straightforward at first, but the reality is that any personal injury claim has the potential to escalate into a complex legal affair. Additionally, California upholds a pure comparative negligence statute, meaning a plaintiff may face reduced compensation if the court determines they are partially at fault for causing their claimed damages. California does not bar recovery at any threshold, so a plaintiff found 99% at fault would still be legally entitled to recovery but would lose 99% of the case award to reflect their fault. Our team will help our client minimize any comparative negligence a defendant asserts to help them ensure maximum recovery.
Cases We Handle
Personal injury law is a broad area of civil law that applies to many different civil cases. The team at My SoCal Lawyers can be your Riverside, California personal injury attorneys in a wide range of personal injury cases, including:
- Car accident claims. If another driver injured you by causing a car accident, we could help you explore your options for recovery beyond insurance. Car accidents continue to be one of the most common causes of personal injury claims in the United States.
- Premises liability claims. If you or a loved one suffered an injury on another person’s property due to their failure to properly maintain the property, a premises liability claim could offer your best chance of securing a recovery.
- Dog bite claims. California is a strict liability state when it comes to dog bites. If another person’s dog bit or otherwise injured you while you were lawfully present at the location where the incident occurred, you would have the right to file a personal injury claim against the dog’s owner.
- Catastrophic injury cases. Some personal injuries pertain to severe injuries like amputation, burns that cause permanent scarring, spinal cord injuries, and brain injuries. Suppose a loved one suffered any injury likely to affect them for the rest of their life. In that case, we can help you secure the maximum possible recovery for your immediate and anticipated future losses.
- Wrongful death. When a personal injury victim dies from their injury, their family has the right to pursue a wrongful death claim instead of the personal injury claim the victim could have filed had they survived.
This is not an exhaustive list of the personal injury cases our team can handle. If you or a loved one recently experienced any type of personal injury due to the actions of another party, My SoCal Lawyers can help you hold them accountable for your losses with a personal injury claim.
Assisting Client Recovery in the Inland Empire
The personal injury statutes of California allow an injured victim to secure compensation for all losses resulting from a defendant’s negligence. As your Riverside, California personal injury attorneys, My SoCal Lawyers will help you recover damages such as:
- Medical expenses, both those immediately resulting from your injury and anticipated long-term medical expenses for treating you or your loved one’s injuries.
- Lost income, including wages lost during recovery and lost future earning capacity when a client develops a permanent medical condition or disability that prevents them from working in the future.
- Property damage, such as the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle in a car accident or other personal property destroyed by the defendant’s actions.
- Pain and suffering, which seeks to compensate you for your physical suffering and mental anguish.
The potential recovery from your personal injury claim could be far more substantial than you initially expect when you work with the right Riverside, California personal injury lawyer. If you are ready to discuss your legal options with an attorney after any personal injury in the Inland Empire, contact My SoCal Lawyers today and schedule a case evaluation with our team.